Monday 29 August 2011

Day 3- Mt.Pearl to Clarenville

Mr. Sun was out again today and Dawn (driver) and I started out in Paradise, NFLD. Our Medal Bearers here were Cassidy, Carolyn, Kay and Kelizabeth... no misprint, we renamed her to match the others. :)
They took the medal from the highway to a community center where Rick arrived and got a gym full of kids fired up about being future difference makers. It was a real tear jerker! My camera took fuzzy pictres in the gym but I'll post one anyway.

I got to talk to Rick outside in the parking lot on the way to our vehicles, Today was his birthday and we were joking about our ages.... we're BOTH 29! He got serious for a moment and started to thank me for what I was doing. I laughed and said it was my pleasure and that it's been a dream of mine to be doing the relay and there was NO WAY he could have kept me from it, which he chuckled at. He was probably thinking "Oh yeah?!" We went our separate way and agreed to chat later that day.
On to Clarenville! Dawn and I sailed down the transcanada for a couple hours and had a very picturesque and blustery ride. Once, the shuttle was blown right over into the other lane! "Hold on to 'er Dawn!" I laughed.
Arriving in Clarenville we checked into our hotel and went for lunch downtown. I had a seafood chowder that really was heavenly! I love the Rock!
We got to our meeting point early and met our contact person and Greg, who is an abulatory SCI. Greg was the days final medal bearer and did his rehab in Lyndhurst in Toronto where, it turns out we know alot of the same people. It was like meeting an old friend for the first time. Greg got to pass the medal to Rick at the EOD.

The rest of our group eventually showed up and most of them were young adults who were really fired up and having a great time. The whole group was talking excitedly while going out to the relay and were yelling, shouting and whistling out the windows at people as we passed. We all had so much fun. They even brought a town flag for everyone in the group and on the road crew to sign and give to Rick for his birthday.

The EOD ceremony was a huge party and we had fantastic music by a local band called "Slainte"(Irish pronunciation).


I had a great time dancing to the music and talking to Barb, Kimberley and Olivia. We had such an amazing day.
At the end I got to tell Rick a little about my idea for an intensive treadmill training study and I said that I'd love to hear his opinions about it. He told me it was a great dream and that he'd like a little time to think about it and that we could discuss it further in Halifax. I also told him that there's about 200 people in Hamilton who are bugging me to ask him to make an appearance there although I know his schedule is very full. No promises yet but he'll see what he can do. Fingers crossed!
After the EOD, we all retired to our hotel and me, having the biggeest room, held a small chess tourny..... where I had my hat handed to me by both Kyle and Nish! They battled each other till midnight when I kicked them out. G'night guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment