Monday 12 September 2011

Day 7 - Gander to Glandford to Grand Falls

Started another glorious sunny day with Dawn as my driver. We left the crossroads city of Gander and headed off to our meeting point in the small town of Glanford. I had read my notes the night before on our medal bearers and I was already impressed but I had no idea these people were going to affect me so powerfully. Dawn and I arrived early (as usual) at the Town Hall/Library and set up in a meeting room at the rear of the building where they had drinks and snacks set up for everyone. Soon our Medal Bearers arrived and we met Mike, a special olympics athlete who had won NFLD Athlete of the year awards and had medaled 80 times in his athletic career. We met Christine, who runs the local day care/ preschool and volunteers in all community events that she can while teaching Zumba and raising her family. We met Derm Flynn, the mayor of neighbouring Appleton and a community builder and leader for 50 years. And last but not least, local personality Kenny who has been instrumental in the lives of all in the community for over 50 years. Kenny had suffered a stroke last year and was now wheelchair bound.
Derm spoke first and chose not to speak of his difference making but sing the praises of Kenny and told us of Kenny's dedication to the community. Soon most of us were crying, I'm tearing up as I remember and write.... Mike's dad shared his story about the shining example his son has set for all about leading by example and doing whatever one can do to help. Christine was next and shared her story of overcoming her educational barriers to help her son and become the leader in the community that she is, she also presented her Zumba group with t-shirts commemorating the event. We finished by doing the "warm-up" outside in the parking lot with some kids and more people from the community. We all had a great time dancing in the street.
While boarding the shuttle a lady approached me and said "It's such an honor to meet you Rick and I think you're amazing!" To which I replied, "... Jake. It's Jake Lawless but I know it's easy to confuse us ... we look so much alike.  : )  So we both smiled, and although she was a little embarassed we wished each other Good day and carried on.
Our medal bearers werereally excited and I had to go with Kenny on his segment... untill a lady stopped me to make a donation. Newfies are soooo generous!
Off to Grand Falls!
Dawn and I checked into the Hotel and hurried off to the EOD. It was in the local arena and the ice rink (no ice) was full of chairs with a large stage at the end. I spent the afternoon in front of the RHF tents chatting to people and doing merchandising. Some people were REALLY mad Rick was not here. Someone in town said he would be.... rumours, rumours! We did our best explaining the situation.
I met a brave young fellow there named Tyler who had, some months before, had a motorcycle accident. Talking with him and his family I learned that he was having a hard time with his recovery, how hard and frustrating it is and how long it takes. It took me right back to rehab and the early days in North Hamilton. I really empathized with Tyler and I told him what helped me. Hard work, patience and seeing the glass half full. I looked him in the eye and told him what I honestly believe helped me and would help him, that tomorrow will be a better day, keep working, you'll get tired and mad and sad and want to quit but keep going... and tomorrow will be a better day I promise. Good luck Tyler, we'll meet again, and it WILL be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment